Postdoc in Macroecology and Diversity of European Vegetation job with MASARYK UNIVERSITY
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces open competition for position Postdoc in Macroecology and Diversity
of European Vegetation, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Workplace: Vegetation Sciences Group, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: Temporary position with a contract until December 31, 2023, non-academic
Business hours: 1.0 FTE (full-time job of 40 hours per week)
Salary: CZK 50,000/month
Expected start date: As soon as possible in 2022
Number of open positions: 2
Registration deadline: February 15, 2022
About the workplace
Masaryk University is the second largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, over 5,000 employees and over 30,000 students.
FFaculty of Sciences MU, a proud holder of HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering academic training (Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate programmes) closely linked to both primary and applied research and secondary education in the following sciences: mathematics, physics , Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit at Masaryk University, generating approximately 40% of UM’s research outputs.
Department of Botany and Zoology is a modern center for research and education in evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. His research groups study the phylogenetic relationships and classification of organisms, their diversity from local to continental levels, and the ecological relationships of individual species, populations and communities in relation to natural and human-induced changes in entire ecosystems. .
- Carry out independent research in the fields of vegetation macroecology or vegetation classification based on the analysis of European vegetation plot databases
- Writing scientific publications for international journals
- Active participation in scientific conferences and meetings (in person or online)
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD in ecology, botany, vegetation sciences, biogeography or related fields
- Less than 8 years after obtaining the doctorate. at the time of taking up the post
- Candidates who have obtained a doctorate. at Masaryk University must have completed the first position lasting at least two years outside of MU
- Specialist in vegetation ecology, macroecology or study of vegetation
- Experience in biodiversity data analysis
- International experience (completed studies or previous employment at a university or research institute outside the Czech or Slovak Republics)
- Publishing experience (the first author or corresponding author of at least three articles in the above fields published in journals indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Fluency in spoken and written English demonstrated by previous international publications and conference presentations or internships
- Good communication skills, motivation for teamwork, ability to create and manage international research networks
- Flexible and independent way of organizing work with a clear focus on science
- An interesting job in a growing university sector
- Flexible work hours and occasional home office to accommodate personal needs for family and work compatibility
- Social benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, contribution to pension insurance, financial allowance for meals, lunches in MU canteens, a multisport card, free vaccinations, language courses at reduced prices , a university cinema discount, an exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on the cost of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides assistance with your move to Brno
The request must be submitted online before February 15, 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the electronic application at the beginning and at the end of the announcement.
The candidate must provide the following:
- CV including a list of publications (with a clear indication of articles indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Motivation letter explaining the candidate’s interest in macroecology and vegetation diversity or vegetation classification and how the candidate fulfills the above requirements (max. 2 pages)
- Names and contact details of at least two academic referees
After successfully submitting your application, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Applications received will be carefully reviewed in accordance with the principles of the european charter and the researcher’s code. Selection criteria: (i) meet the qualification requirements described above, (ii) provide all required documents.
If we do not contact you no later than 10 working days after the application deadline, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates who meet the requirements of the position.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be viewed here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our career page.
We look forward to hearing from you!